gcj --- Was: (RE: Maintainer searched)

Tue May 9 02:09:00 GMT 2006

[top posting.  Reformatted]

Christopher Molnar wrote:
 > Charles Wilson wrote:
>> (1) libjava is "hopelessly broken", according to Danny Smith. I have to
>> concur -- I was not able to get it to build at all, so I gave up
>> including the java compiler in my 4.1.0 build.  According to Danny, the
>> java compiler requires a shared libjava (and shared libgcc) -- but see
>> below about DLLs.  (According to Danny, it takes over 1G RAM to
>> successfully turn a libjava.a into a DLL+implib ; I never even got
>> libjava.a to build so I can't verify).
 >
> I didn't get the whole thread of this.

The section you quoted was refering to 4.x exclusively.  I have no
knowledge, nor make any claim of working or non-working, for the gcj
shipped as part of gcc-3.4.4 on cygwin.

> Is someone going to try and fix the
> gcj? I have 3 applications that I would like to submit (Apache Tomcat,
> Apache Ant, and Servsys) that I can not get to build using gcj (core dump).
> I am really not sure what to do. They build perfectly using Suns jdk.

So, this is a bug report for gcj-3.4.4 on cygwin?  If so, I'd suggest
just waiting until the new maintainer releases his own version of 3.4.x.
  (It probably won't contain any new fixes, but that'll give the new
maintainer a fighting chance).  Anyway, after that version is released,
try it again, and then raise a bug report.  And, as always....

> Anyone have any suggestions?

PTC, I'm sure.

--
Chuck