perl giving setlocale failures with recent cygwin's, Egor please comment?

Nicholas Wourms nwourms@netscape.net
Thu Aug 29 04:22:00 GMT 2002

Christopher Faylor wrote:

>I just rebuilt cygwin with the newest version of newlib and noticed
>a lot of these type of warnings:
>
>perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
>        LC_ALL = (unset),
>        LANG = (unset)
>    are supported and installed on your system.
>
>Is it possible that this is due to Egor's recent mb change in newlib?
>
>cgf

Yes, I noticed this since the beginning of last week, but was afraid it
was something I did wrong [thus I didn't mention anything on the lists].
 Since I always build from the top level (fresh newlib and all), I
suppose that might explain why others didn't pick up on it until now.  I
don't think it was Egor's patch, but rather all the i18n stuff that was
added by fitzsim here [IIRC this seems to be the date where these
messages first appeared for me]:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/newlib-cvs/2002-q3/msg00068.html

Sorry for not alerting people sooner :-(.

Cheers,
Nicholas