1.7.1 release date?

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Thu Nov 19 16:48:00 GMT 2009

Corinna Vinschen schrieb:
> On Nov 19 17:15, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>
>> I think this stuff is working quite well now, with one small but
>> significant issue: I had suggested to add set LC_CTYPE=C.UTF-8 to
>> cygwin.bat and I'd like to strongly repeat this suggestion as it
>> might avoid much trouble.
>>
> Can you repeat your reasoning?  After all, C.UTF-8 is the default
> locale now, so not setting LC_ALL/LC_CTYPE/LANG will result in
> C.UTF-8 being default anyway.

For applications that use the API (setlocale, nl_langinfo) it's not
essential, and I think you tweaked setlocale so that it works as
expected if no locale variable is set;

    side note: actually, the setlocale manpage doesn't appear to be up
    to date:
>     This is a minimal implementation, supporting only the required
>     `"C"' value for LOCALE; ...

But for applications that explicitly check the locale environment
variables themselves, it is misleading. If there is none, they will make
a default assumption which is unlikely to be UTF-8, that's where the
trouble starts.

Thomas