1.7.1 release date?

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Fri Nov 20 00:07:00 GMT 2009

Andy Koppe schrieb:
> 2009/11/19 Thomas Wolff:
>
>> As far as I know LANG is a variable predating the LC_ variables in usage, so
>> very few people might know it and not the others, but some other people
>> might know LC_* and not LANG.
>> I think using LC_CTYPE here is better because it's more specific whereas
>> LANG is a generic catch-all setting.
>>
> The important thing here is that LANG is the lowest-priority setting,
> which ensures that it will not override any user settings.

Yes, but if could redefine them which is not good in the case of
terminal charset. So the terminal setting should override other user
settings. I confused my example, let me tweak it:
>> Someone might set LC_MESSAGES=gr to get
>> Greek messages, without caring about the charset here. If that was
>> configured with LC_CTYPE, all is well and they can happily coexist, getting
>> Greek messages in the terminal charset. If it was configured with LANG, it
>> would be overridden and terminal handling would break.
>>
> Wrong. LC_MESSAGES=gr would override LANG to get Greek messages as
> intended, but it would have no effect on the terminal, which uses
> LC_ALL ?: LC_CTYPE ?: LANG.

Sure. Let's assume someone sets LANG=gr with the intention to get Greek
messages. If terminal charset was previously configured with LC_CTYPE,
it will still override, only messages will change to Greek as intended.
If terminal charset was configured with LANG, it will be broken now.

Thomas