The unreliability of AF_UNIX datagram sockets

Tue May 4 11:06:43 GMT 2021

On May  3 16:50, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 5/3/2021 3:48 PM, Ken Brown wrote:

> > > Ok, never mind.
> > >
> > > One advantage of the mqueue when utilized as above would be that this
> > > kind of state info is not required.  The content of a packet would
> > > always be self-contained and bumping the priority would automagically
> > > move the packet content to the top of the queue.  But that's just
> > > idle musing at this point.
> >
> > I thought about that but rejected it for the following reason: Suppose
> > the receiver reads a message and tries to rewrite it with modified
> > header, shortened payload, and bumped priority.  The sender might have
> > already written more messages between the read and the write, and the
> > queue could be full.
> >
> > Now that I'm rethinking this, however, maybe we could get around that
> > problem with an internal _mq_lock function that would block senders
> > while the receiver decides whether it needs to do a partial read.
>
> Alternatively, _mq_recv could accept an _MQ_LOCK flag, which means "don't
> release the mutex", and then there could be an _mq_unlock function, which
> simply releases the mutex.

That's an idea.  However, I think this is something we can push back for
now, and ultimately we can use any of the above solutions which makes most
sense.  Implemanting a defered unlock if required is not much of a problem.

Corinna