B20.1 bug: find is acting funny

Fergus Henderson fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU
Sun Jan 31 23:52:00 GMT 1999

On 03-Jan-1999, Hugh Winkler <hughw@scoutsys.com> wrote:
> In b20.1 (bash 2.02.1(2), find 4.1) if I do
>     find ./ -name *.java
>
> and there are some .java files in the current directory, find emits
>
> 	find: paths must precede expression
> 	Usage: find [path...] [expression]
>
> but if there are no .java files in the current directory, find behaves as
> expected.
>
> Same behavior for any search pattern, not just .java, of course.
>
> find was working properly in 20.0 I'm pretty sure.

The behaviour you describe above is the proper behaviour;
you can observe the same on Linux, for example.
If beta 20.0 behaved differently, that was a bug in beta 20.0.

To get the behaviour that you want, you need to quote the "*.java" argument:

	find . -name "*.java"
	             ^      ^

--
Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.oz.au>  |  "Binaries may die