fsplit problems

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Thu Mar 20 18:36:00 GMT 2003

Tyson,

Cygwin does not emulate the Linux operating system at a binary
executable level. It implements POSIX APIs in terms of Windows APIs. It
has a great deal of FSF / GNU software, but that software is compiled
specifically for Cygwin. There's no binary compatibility.

If the tool you want is not already available (it appears not to be a
part of the Cygwin stock distribution), you can probably compile it
under Cygwin. If the source has not been ported to Cygwin (in
particular to accommodate the fact that Cygwin has a dual form of file
access: text and binary modes), you probably want to use it only on
binary mounted Cygwin file systems or with CYGWIN "binmode" set.

Your diagnostics come from a file being marked executable (in the file
modes / chmod sense) but not being recognized as a valid binary for the
system under which the exec(2) was attempted. The shell then tries to
interpret the file as a script. Shell syntax errors ensue.

Randall Schulz