chroot-bug?

Andreas none@unet.univie.ac.at
Thu Mar 25 20:32:00 GMT 2004

Hallo!
I'm using CYGWIN_NT-5.1 (cygcheck.out attached)
*I installed Cygwin in a Subdir /cygdrive/d/temp/Cyg/, because here we
don't have permissions for /. So I want to chroot to that
installation-directory, for getting the programs working properly.
chroot $InstallROOT $InstallROOT/usr/bin/bash
-->> "chroot: cannot chdir to root directory: No such file or directory"
At home I did the same, ADDITIONALLY having /usr/bin/bash, but I get the
same errors.
chroot $InstallROOT; doesn't work  # InstallROOT=/cygdrive/d/Temp/Cyg
Also cd /; chroot .    # doesn't work
chroot /;    # works, but worthless

* mount works, whereas I can't alter anything (umount, mounting others
doens't work)
    -->> umount: /cygdrive/H: Permission denied
 mkdir X; mount /dev/hda1 X   -->> mount: X: Invalid argument
    which devices are to be used? (As /dev/null nothing exists, but works)

* Why doesn't work #!bash ? On other systems it's enough to let it find
by the $PATH.
Extension .bat is executed by cmd.exe, if no extension, I would like to
be able to leave the #!command out!

I don't get any reply to my adress subscribing the mailing-list cygwin,
so please also answer via EMAIL TO      k009aaka+AT+unet.univie.ac.at

          thanks, Andrew!