cygwin + xwin in win7 as unprivileged user?

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Wed Oct 6 17:26:00 GMT 2010

On 06/10/2010 16:10, davidstvz wrote:
> I have done additional testing on this problem and it seems that the first
> user to login and run 'startxwin' owns all of the log and lock files and
> this is what is causing the problem.  The first user can continue using xwin
> without issues, but no other users can do it after that.
>
> If someone would upgrade xwin to to make these file names unique for each
> user it should solve the problem.  Meanwhile, I'm envisioning several
> workarounds.

The log file issue is discussed and a workaround given at [1]

The lock file should be removed on xwin exit, so should not be a problem
unless xwin is crashing for you, in which case report that problem.

Making the lock file name unique per user is a non-solution, as it prevents it
from locking against multiple simultaneous uses of the same display number.

[1] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2010-08/msg00090.html

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer